The University of Tennessee System

Trademark Licensing

What kind of products may be licensed?

The University of Tennessee will consider any product. However, the university's Trademark Licensing Program Office must approve all products before they are licensed.

What happens if a mark is used without a license?

Unauthorized use of the university's marks may subject the user to civil or criminal liability under federal and state laws.

How may a license be obtained?

Information about licensing, royalties, rates, and procedures may be obtained by contacting the university's licensing representative:

The Collegiate Licensing Company
290 Interstate North, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30339
Phone: 770-956-0520; Fax: 770-955-4491

How can you help the university's licensing program?

Look for the "Officially Licensing Collegiate Products" label when you are in the market for a collegiate product. To view this label, click here and choose OLCP Label from the menu. This label indicates that you are buying a product of quality and authenticity that represents the goodwill of the university. Any merchandise not bearing this label but using the marks of the university may be an infringement of trademark. The University of Tennessee appreciates your support through the purchase of officially licensed products.

What are examples of University of Tennessee marks?

University of Tennessee marks include but are not limited to any artwork or logographic work representing the following:

  • The University of Tennessee
  • UT
  • Volunteers
  • MOCS
  • Skyhawks
  • VOLS
  • Lady Vols
  • Big Orange Country
  • the official university seal and logo
  • other designs, symbols, art, seals, words, or groups of words or letters that have been used by the university or its licensees or are associated with the University of Tennessee.

Contact the Office of
Trademark Licensing

Michael Keener
McKenzie Addition-Neyland-Thompson Sports Ctr.
1551 Lake Loudon Blvd.
Knoxville, TN  37996-3100

Phone: 865.974.1444
Fax: 865.974.6377