VOL-AWARE: A Two Day Event Targeting Mental Health Awareness, Wellness, & Suicide Prevention.
In October, 2006 the University of Tennessee Counseling Center and the UT Safety Environment and Education Center hosted the first annual VolAware, a two day event targeting mental health awareness, wellness and suicide prevention. This event continues to take place each October during the national Mental Health Awareness Week. This year's event is taking place on October 8th & 9th, 2007.
VolAware aims to:
- Provide the community with skills to intervene when someone they know is in distress
- Decrease the stigma of mental health issues
- Promote emotional well-being and coping through life-skills development
- Provide prevention and early intervention of mental health problems
- Enhance education and awareness
- Enhance community collaboration
We will accomplish our goals through the following activities:
- QPR -- As part of our two day event, we will be providing training in QPR. QPR is a training program aimed at suicide prevention. The QPR-athon is open to everyone in the community. We are trying to train as many people as possible! QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) provides the life saving skills necessary to effectively and directly ask someone if they are suicidal, persuade them to get help and refer them to the appropriate professional.
- An Interactive Mental Health Awareness Fair that includes:
- Opportunities to meet mental health providers on campus and in the Knoxville community.
- Interactive programming such as coping/life skills classes, yoga and wellness demonstrations, chair massages, RAD demonstrations, mental health jeopardy challenges, multi-cultural dance lessons, and meditation demonstrations.
- An inner child play center including opportunities to remember what it was like to be a child and play with things such as finger paint, crafts, and Playdoh and have fun jumping on large inflatables.
- Mental Health Screenings will be available to the entire community and will be conducted by providers across the surrounding areas. Individual interested in taking a screening will be able to do so online or in person. UT Students, Faculty, and Staff can click here to take a mental health screening online any time by clicking here.
ALL ACTIVITIES ARE FREE !!!!!
Click here to view pictures from the 2006 VolAware event.